Saturday, January 31, 2009

If I Could Only Have 3: The Daily Driver

As a prelude to the eventual unveiling of my favorite car, which I know you check this blog daily to find out, I am going to write a 3 part post. The 3 parts will be The Daily Driver, The Track Monster, and, finally, My Favorite Car. As you may have noticed from the title, this car would be my ideal daily driver.

It's the Mercedes Benz McLaren SLR, the Stirling Moss Edition. What makes this one so special? First of all, this is going to be the last car that Mercedes and McLaren make together. There will only be 75 of them made. It will cost €750,000, which is a little over $1,000,000 these days. It has a 650hp, 5.5L Supercharged V8, going 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds.

I don't care about any of that. You can't count anymore how many cars have such gaudy statistics. Why do I like this one so much then? It's pretty simple actually. When I look at cars, I go by a certain philosophy used by art collectors: If you don't have to have it, don't buy it. Well, I have to have this. It is quite possibly the second prettiest car ever made (yes, I do know how to wring out suspense). It costs a million dollars, and it doesn't even have a roof (I should say, the absence of a roof really won't matter as I'll be driving this down the streets in my sunny hometown of Monte Carlo). But when a car can move you while standing still, well, that's the real test I think aficionados abide by.

Of the 3 cars on my list, this one is by far the most expensive. But what can I say? I have to have it.

No comments: